Saturday, July 6, 2013

Justice system reform - basic requirement


For me to consider our system of justice "fair," it is necessary to have some requirement for the victim to be "reasonably compensated" ... and, to me, jail time does not count as victim compensation.

For example, here is a story about a guy who tried to comfort a girl after her boyfriend left her.  Later she accuses him of raping her.  He gets out of it only because there happened to be TV cameras in that area (which she didn't know about.)  And she kept up the prosecution until she was confronted with the proof.  Now she's going to jail for a little while.

Now I don't know about you but I don't see that as "justice" at all.

The problem is twofold:

1 - What is fair compensation for the victim?

2 - What if the perpetrator doesn't have the money or wherewithal to compensate the victim?

What about these legal state lotteries ... with every official in a powdered wig racing to declare them "education" lotteries.  And is one lottery enough?  Not that I've seen.  They all have a ton of them.  Are any dedicated to crime victims?  Or does that kind of thing get in the way of the politicians spreading the cash to their buddies?

If government is always so damn busy doing things "for our own good," then why don't they focus on things like this?  I'm sure "climate change" is much better for giving money to their buddies more important.

I'm sure greater minds than mine have pondered this exact question.  I wonder what with up they came (lol.)  I may actually have to look into it.

No comments:

Post a Comment