Saturday, September 3, 2011

IT'S NOT WRONG, IT'S JUST 'SUCCINCT,' HE SAYS

Those who think the truncated quote attributed to Martin Luther King on his new DC memorial do a disservice to the man are just going to have to deal with it. The chief architect defends the quotation and says he has no plans to tweak it, reports the Washington Post. It reads, “I was a drum major for justice, peace, and righteousness." What King actually said was, “Yes, if you want to say that I was a drum major, say that I was a drum major for justice. Say that I was a drum major for peace. I was a drum major for righteousness. And all of the other shallow things will not matter.”

Right... just like "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger" is "succinct" and doesn't lose any of the meaning of the original "What hurts you but doesn't kill you makes you stronger". I mean sure I get what they mean. I just wonder how many people though have ever heard the correct quote? It seems kind of obvious to me that the original has meaning and impact and that the "succinct" version is simply a shortcut and easier for the marshmallow brains to remember.

I mean if you spend any time at all thinking about it (and maybe I'm stating the obvious here) but surviving adversity is one thing and you can easily argue that surviving it does in fact make you stronger but conversely, how can it possibly be that something that doesn't kill you make you stronger? A car speeding down the road in another state could quite possibly kill me but doesn't and how does that make me stronger? Of course, the "succinct" quote doesn't mention anything about something having the wherewithal to kill you... it doesn't even mention anything about something having the wherewithal to hurt you.

All it says is that something that doesn't do anything to you makes you stronger. I'd go ahead and put that on par with medals for participation where everyone who bothers to show up gets a (meaningless) award.

From Newser.

1 comment:

Evil_Klown said...

Communist leanings aside, Martin Luther King had a good outlook towards equality and hard work. In my view the message goes unheeded ... nay, miscomprehended.

Post a Comment