Here is a copy of the email I sent them today. (Sep 20, 2009)
I love Food Lion but I cannot stand it when the employees have to say "Welcome to Food Lion" -- and then, once I'm in the store it's "Welcome to the Deli" and so forth. This is not only distracting to me but I'm embarrassed for your employees as well. I'm also embarrassed for the person who had the brilliant idea. Please knock it off.
Also, I DO NOT like to be solicited for your charities at checkout. It just shows what you really think of your customers when you do that ... it seems you couldn't care less if we're embarrassed at having to say "no." True charity is anonymous. If your company wants to donate then do so but don't brag about it ... that's disgusting.
UPDATE:
September 28, 2009
Mr. Evil Klown (Real name redacted)
Address redacted
Address redacted
Dear Mr. Klown:
Thank you for your recent email regarding the circumstances you encountered with us. I very much appreciate your contacting our company.
Your taking the time to make me aware of your thoughts and ideas is greatly valued. We are always anxious to hear from our customers. Consumer involvement helps us to identify ways that we can improve on meeting our customer's needs. Please be assured that your comments will be kept under review for future consideration.
We appreciate you sharing your feelings regarding our fund raising promotion. We are sorry if you have felt pressured to donate. But not sorry enough to stop asking me to donate? Our associates are passionate about supporting charitable causes and helping our communities. I can assure you, you are wrong. Your "associates" are NOT passionate about having to ask every last customer if they'd like to donate. In fact, I'd be willing to bet they HATE IT and resent Food Lion for demanding they do so. I mean, is this an outright lie or are you people delusional? The part I like best is reading "Food Lion donated ..." in the newspaper when we all know your customers did the donating. We expect this to be conducted in a manner that does not pressure, embarrass or otherwise discomfort our customers. I see ... you "expect it." And exactly HOW can you expect asking for donations ... in the checkout line ... in front of other people ... to be free from pressure, discomfort, and embarrassment (for both customer and "associate" alike?) This is another outright lie. You must really think I'm stupid if you think I'm going to buy the fact that you don't realize what you're doing. Please accept our apologies for not having fulfilled that expectation on your last visit. I'd be glad to accept your apologies if you stopped with the solicitation of "donations" for which you plan to claim credit. I just LOVE it when companies donate to charity using other people's money and then use the donation to get free press about their "generosity." Who brags about giving to charity? It's contemptible. Yes, I know, you people think it's great press/community relations ... they told you that in school, right?
Food Lion takes pride in being great neighbors in our communities. We are grateful for the tremendous support of our customers in helping us give back to the communities we serve. We select the charities we choose to support very carefully. 100% of the money raised remains in the community.
Again, we apologize that our service on your last visit did not meet your expectation or ours. We value your feedback and will consider this carefully when developing charitable campaigns in the future. Um, you forgot to address the "Welcome to Food Lion ... Welcome to the Deli" business. Let me guess ... your associates INSIST on doing that too ... am I right? Seriously, I really like my local Food Lion (and the people who work there) but if you don't stop this behavior I'm going to look for another grocery store. There is another store just about 1/2 mile further away from me but I'd really rather not go there. That's why I'm taking the time to write you these letters. I can promise you this much ... if I do start shopping somewhere else, I'm not coming back. Also, let me just say that I am not the only customer who hates these policies. I've actually discussed this with many of my friends who are eager to hear of the results of my conversations with you.
Lastly, I'm not naive enough to think this letter is going to do any good. The problem is that your management is sure that they are right and I am wrong. They are sure that the continuation of these policies will not result in decreased business for Food Lion. Even if they weren't, there is NO WAY they're going to let themselves (geniuses) be pushed around by their idiot customers, right?
Anyway, that's enough. This is the last letter you'll get from me. I've already spent FAR too much time trying to convince you to listen.
A Leader in Your Community,
Name withheld because I felt like it
Consumer Research Specialist
4 comments:
I could not agree with you more! Keep up the good work.
Well done!
I agree I work for a food-lion and its crazy for us to say that to customers. Some have repeated exactly your feelings
get em Klown
Post a Comment