Buddhist monks march through Ahlone, a Rangoon suburb, on 24 SeptemberBurmese military threatens monks
Burma's ruling military junta has warned it is ready to "take action" against Buddhist monks leading mounting protests, state media have reported.
Brig Gen Thura Myint Maung, minister for religion, warned them not to break Buddhist "rules and regulations" as Rangoon saw the largest march yet.
He blamed the protests on "destructive elements" opposed to peace in Burma.
President George W Bush is set to announce fresh US sanctions on Burmese leaders, the White House says.
Lots More here:
Are you in Burma? Have you witnessed the protests? What is the mood like in the country? Send us your comments and experiences.
I witnessed the big protests in Rangoon today. I am really sorry for our country and our people because we are under the control of the wicked junta. We haven't got arms, we wish for peace, a better future and democracy. We are hoping that the UN security council will put a pressure on the junta. Kyi Kyi, Rangoon
I saw more than 100,000 monks march to 8 -mile junction, from south to north, I'm not sure where they lead to. This situation could be worse more if junta couldn't control softly. We want some changes in Burma, but we want these changes leading to good ways. I can say surely that killing the monks is insulting the Buddhism religious. Sun, Rangoon
I saw about 40,000 to 50,000 people, including monks, nuns and ordinary people, marching along Prome road. That was at around 3:30pm. The protests will grow bigger day by day and I hope that they are not going to start killing people. We need help to save our people. Mr Tun, Rangoon
More comments at the link above also.
By the way -- THIS is EXACTLY why you NEVER let government put gun restrictions on law-abiding citizens. It's also EXACTLY why you NEVER want to let the central government gain too much power.
No comments:
Post a Comment