A Florida doctor looking to relieve some holiday stress was killed by her mechanical neck massager, police said.
Michelle Ferrari-Gegerson of Parkland finished wrapping presents in her bedroom on Christmas Eve, authorities say, when she apparently decided to use an electrical massager on her neck.
"The massager got entangled with a necklace, and it probably caused her to black out very quickly," said Jim Leljedal of the Broward County Sheriff's Department.
Ferrari-Gegerson’s husband, Kenneth, came home and found her unconscious with the neck massager next to her body. He called for help, but the 37-year-old was pronounced dead shortly afterwards. Authorities have not revealed which brand of neck massager was used.
Ferrari-Gegerson was an associate professor at the University of Florida and worked in the emergency room at Jackson Memorial Hospital.
This is a representation of a device I imagine could have been the culprit.
Here's some more pics of the possible culprit.
From here:

1 comment:
Contrary to my first suspicion, ligature strangulation actually does cause the victim to black out very quickly.
From forensicpathologyonline.com:
"Evidences of struggle are usually found, but if the person is taken unawares, and the ligature is suddenly placed around the neck, and pulled tightly, the person loses consciousness quickly and is unable to offer much resistance."
That said, I'd like to know exactly which electronic neck massager was responsible and also, what necklace. I mean, nobody wants their jewelry just falling off at the drop of a hat, but I don't want any that will actually kill me because it lacks a planned failure point.
Anyone who has spent even 5 minutes around horses (as I have) knows that a bridle will hold a horse's head well enough to control the animal even when it resists but will also fail if the tack gets snagged and the horse really wants to get free. This is why every bridle will have at least some leather on it.
Post a Comment