What is the next number in this series?
8, 6, 7, 9, 5, 6, 8, ??
Hint on Monday if needed...
Sunday, February 21, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
In this blog, My friends (the evil minions) and I lay waste to idiots of all types. We also cover other blogs and news tidbits for your review ... and anything else we damn well please.
7 comments:
6
Since the next number missing was the 8th, I looked for a pattern of twos then fours. I found it there. The fourth number from any point in the sequence is one up or one down from the first of the four up one if the second number is even, down one if the second number is odd.
So...
8 next is even (6) so fourth is nine.
6 next is odd (7) so fifth is 5
7 next is odd (9) so sixth is 6
9 next is odd so seventh is 8
Following this pattern, if the fifth number is 5 and the sixth is even (6) then the eighth must be 6.
BTW, this is your fearless Dealer.
8,6,7..
8,6,7..
8,6,7,5,3,0,nieeeeine. Jenny, I got your number.
www.WhereAreMyKeys.TypePad.com
wamk- you and I could rule the world.
Interesting solution Dealer - the answer is correct but for a different reason than I intended. Guess this is why I don't create puzzles for a living. My puzzle was meant to invoke Dmitri Mendeleev...
Okay, first of all, what's wrong with him making up a puzzle?
Two, he already indicated that he read your [overly verbose] answer as indicated by his comment "Interesting solution Dealer".
And C, that solution took you a half an hour?
O-C-N-F-B-C-O-C ?? I still don't capisky the pattern.
My answer:
6 (you knew that)
Each number in the series represents the number of letters in the first 8 elements on the periodic table (oxygen being element #8 with 6 letters in its name).
It's not really a "math" puzzle.
Post a Comment