Sunday, January 17, 2010

A New Career for EK?

Bold is mine.

The world’s first academic degree in medical clowning is now available to aspiring healers. A big red nose is not part of the admission requirements, but a sense of humor is. The program—at the University of Haifa in Israel—offers courses in comedy, improvisation, mime, and juggling, as well as the psychology of pain, therapy, and communicating with patients. Trainee clowns even go on morning rounds with doctors as full members of the medical team. Research has confirmed the role of laughter in healing. A study in Pediatric Anesthesia reported that using medical clowns for children undergoing surgery can “significantly alleviate pre-operative anxiety” when compared with no intervention, and is better than or similar to sedation medication. Clown Doctors, as they’re sometimes known (Gee - how original), operate around the world, including the U.K., Canada, and Australia. In the U.S., the Big Apple Circus has helped train and place clown doctors in more than 18 facilities nationwide.

13 comments:

Evil_Klown said...

This sounds like some idiotic liberal "study" where the results are the EXACT opposite of what makes sense.

The very LAST thing I want to see if I'm in a hospital bed is a dumbass clown.

Microbe said...

@Evil_Klown (how original) Well, the good thing for you is that if the last thing you want to see is "a dumbass clown" you would be left alone, because Clown Doctors always ask permission before approaching someone.

Amd I can tell you that a Clown Doctor (in fact just about anybody) is often JUST the person a lonely patient wants to see in hospital.

Clearly you have no people skills. I hope your job (assuming you have one) does not involve dealing with the public.

Evil_Klown said...

Oops, looks like I pissed off one of the clowns. He must be a clairvoyant lib clown because he can divine my "people skills" from this blog. That's what I like about libs .. they're such geniuses.

Way to come on here and mouth off, big shoes. Clearly you have no people skills. See how easy it is?

Microbe said...

No problems big mouth

Anonymous said...

Troll - like everything on this site.

A is A said...

LMAO at the outrage.

MD = MD
Clown = Clown
Never the twain shall meet (except in that really distubing dream I keep having).

Microbe said...

Speaking of LMAO,

Failed attempt to make it look like someone else is posting a comment whenit is just you trying to make yourself look important and popular

:o)

A is A said...

I am "A is A" - I am not the Klown, nor do I speak for him. I have been given posting privileges on his blog, because I have my own opinions and thoughts. I posted the original "clown doctor" article because I found it ironic. (Clown/Klown - GET IT?) You need to get a hobby, or finish med school.

Microbe said...

Thankls for clarifying that. How ironic...LOL Hilariously in fact.

You know what I love more about the current spate of pathetic, whining onservatives ranting to no-one on their blogs?

Ummm...nothing actually.

Evil_Klown said...

Everything is "hilariously ironic" ... to a clown.

ragweed said...

Well Klown you sciencetifically figured him out to be a lib and he was. Not only can you smell a lib you can also sense them. These are qualities I also desire and hope to aquire some day. Maybe you should start a school for lib detection.

WOMBAT said...

This lib is smarter than most libs. I've always suspected that A is A is Evil Klown but have never been able to prove it. NOW I have my proof. Thank YOU, Microbe.

WOMBAT said...

I've also suspected that meg_mac and mean jean are the same person. Can you shed any light on THAT?

Post a Comment