Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Total objectivity and professionalism


On Friday morning’s The Early Show on CBS, viewers were treated to what almost seemed like a parody of Barack Obama’s mainstream media paparazzi fawning over the Democratic President-elect, as the show ran a report exploring the question of "How cool is Obama?" and co-hosts Harry Smith and Tracy Smith referred to Obama as "the man" and "the epitome of cool," respectively.

Audio of the classic rock group the Chiffons singing "He’s So Fine" even played as the piece on Obama’s "coolness" began. Tracy Smith oozed as she plugged the segment: "We’re actually talking about how a lot of people think that President-elect Barack Obama is the epitome of cool. Look at that guy. Everything, I mean, even in a baseball cap. Don’t you think?" After Harry Smith referred to a New York Times article about the significance of Obama spending his childhood in Hawaii, Tracy Smith added: "That makes him even cooler."

Yes, and it goes on and on at Newbusters:

One thing's for sure, when I vote for President, I vote for the coolest person, don't you? What a couple of jackasses.



HARRY SMITH: Welcome back to The Early Show. I’m Harry Smith, along with Tracy Smith, and Maggie and Julie are off today.

TRACY SMITH: We’re talking about being cool.

HARRY SMITH: Mmm-hmm.

TRACY SMITH: I mean, you’re cool, but we’re actually talking about how a lot of people think that President-elect Barack Obama is the epitome of cool.

HARRY SMITH: Mmm.

TRACY SMITH: Look at that guy. Everything, I mean, even in a baseball cap.

HARRY SMITH: Right.

TRACY SMITH: Don’t you think?

HARRY SMITH: There was a whole thing in the Times yesterday about his being from Hawaii and a kind of a zen of what it’s like to be from Hawaii and that’s, how that might serve him well in the days and months to come.

TRACY SMITH: That makes him even cooler.

More totally objective fawning and gushing here:

Oh yes, if you're from Hawaii, there's an added zen ... omg, omg, omg ... I just can't get over how cool he is.

No comments:

Post a Comment