Buses leave the San Angelo Coliseum grounds loaded with members of the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints as the state continues for the second day in a row to relocate women and children who had been temporarily housed at the location in San Angelo, Texas Friday, April 25, 2008. (AP Photo/Tony Gutierrez) But the broad sweep - from nursing infants to teenagers - is raising constitutional questions, even in a state where authorities have wide latitude for taking a family's children.
The move has the appearance of "a class-action child removal," said Jessica Dixon, director of the child advocacy center at Southern Methodist University's law school in Dallas.
Constitutional experts say U.S. courts have consistently held that a parent's beliefs alone are not grounds for removal. More here:
I sure hope they use the "but everyone ELSE was pointing and hollering 'witch,' I just assumed they were witches -- you can't blame me" defense.
Authorities are investigating whether the calls came from a woman in Colorado who has a history of making fake calls, but CPS officials and legal experts say the outcome of that investigation will likely have little bearing on the custody case, given that authorities went to the ranch believing the calls were legitimate and then found possible evidence of abuse.
I think I'm going to start calling "he/she has drugs in their house" information into the police and have them go and do thorough searches on the houses of libs. I can't quite put my finger on it, but something just isn't right about this whole thing.
No comments:
Post a Comment