Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Canadian Bags O' Milk

Found this at J-Walk:

In Canada, people buy milk in bags: The Canadian Milk Bag.

This is a site dedicated to milk bags. Canadian milk bags to be more precise. (Dairy milk - not to be confused with breast milk which also come in bags.) Canada is not the only place to have milk bags (You can check that out in the misc. section). However, this site will mainly consist of them, which makes sense since I live in Canada. So don't go thinking I'm a milk bag racist.

I think the most irritating thing of all time (Next to maybe Adam Sandler) is when you're in the middle of a conversation and you happen to mention milk bags, and the other person is like "WHAT IS A MILK BAG?", and you try to explain what it is, and how exactly it works but the concept is still a very hard one for them to grasp.

So I have decided to take the liberty upon myself and make a site with all the possible milk bag information which can be jammed packed into one web space (10 megs). My goal is when a person is done looking through this website, to have them completely and utterly educated on everything milk bags related.

Here are some of the comments from that post:

By Copyright Ranger. Comment posted 01-Apr-2008 @04:53pm:
Sadly, these bags are from Parmalat, an Italian company.

By Mean Jean. Comment posted 01-Apr-2008 @04:54pm:
You have to take them home and empty them into a pitcher. Pain in the butt.

By Eenie Meenie. Comment posted 01-Apr-2008 @04:56pm:
Should go well with the dead cows. You really know how to spoil an appetite.

By Moon. Comment posted 01-Apr-2008 @05:00pm:
Ah, but, Mean Jean, they DON'T empty it into the pitcher. That's what I thought, too. They just stick the bag INTO the pitcher and cut a corner. It pours right out of the bag without being emptied into the pitcher.
Those darn Canadiens!

By ajos. Comment posted 01-Apr-2008 @05:05pm:
For most of my youth my mother purchased milk in a bag.

http://www.milkmoola.com/products.asp
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kwik_Trip

I would do the same were it not that the local dairy that produces milk in a bag does not have a lactose free offering.

By Oliver. Comment posted 01-Apr-2008 @10:16pm:
As kids, my siblings and I would always try to cut the barest minimum off the corner of the milk bag, enabling us to shoot a thin, high-pressure stream of milk across the table and into our cereal bowl/onto the floor/into each other's pyjamas.

By arvana. Comment posted 01-Apr-2008 @10:50pm:
This post missed the most horrifying Canadian milk product: Homo Milk.

You will see Homo Milk in any food store in Canada, I kid you not. I believe the name is actually short for homogenized, but that doesn't make it any less disturbing to visitors.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

interesting I happen to be a hugh MILK BAG fan

Anonymous said...

I just returned from a visit to Toronto, Canada and saw the milk bags in action. My uncle has a plastic pitcher specifically designed to hold a one-litre bag. Snip the corner and pour -- and just a thin polyethylene bag to discard when done, so it saves resources and minimizes trash. Dead simple. If it were offered in California, I'd buy my milk in such packaging. Maybe there's a reason why local producers aren't using the system, such as too much capital investment in existing plants that fill milk into jugs and cartons.

Post a Comment