Thursday, January 24, 2008

Candidates on Ramos and Compean

"I would make it my first act as president to pardon agents Ramos and Compean," Mr. Gilchrist said Mr. Huckabee told him. "I regret that they have spent yet another Christmas locked up in a windowless cell like animals and unable to be free and with their families."

The former Arkansas governor thinks the case against U.S. Border Patrol agents Ignacio Ramos and Jose Alonso Compean was railroaded, Mr. Gilchrist said. Ramos and Compean are serving lengthy prison sentences for shooting a fleeing drug-smuggling suspect in the buttocks.

Mike Huckabee wants to amend the Constitution to prevent children born in the U.S. to illegal aliens from automatically becoming American citizens, according to his top immigration surrogate — a radical step no other major presidential candidate has embraced.
------------

Romney, who prided himself on never issuing a pardon during his term as governor, has said he will closely examine the case."In the case of the two border agents, I will seriously consider a pardon or commutation," Romney said, according to his campaign. "I have not yet reviewed the full record, but my understanding is that there may have been an abuse of prosecutorial discretion and that the evidence may show they were wrongly convicted."

No comments:

Post a Comment