Going out with a laugh:Death Row inmate wants a joke to be his final statement.
A man scheduled to be executed tomorrow for the fatal shooting of his neighbours almost 16 years ago wants to tell a joke as part of his final statement from the Texas death chamber gurney.
Patrick Knight, 39, has been considering dozens of jokes he has received in recent weeks after soliciting them to try to comfort his friends on death row.
Knight said he got the idea for a joke as his last statement after a friend, Vincent Gutierrez, was executed earlier this year and laughed from the death chamber gurney: "Where's a stunt double when you need one?"
Oops, too late. He's already dead:
Texas Inmate Executed; Doesn't Tell Joke.
When the moment came, Knight thanked God for his friends and asked for help for innocent men on death row. He named several he said were innocent. His voice shaking and nearly in tears, he said, "Not all of us are innocent, but those are."
After expressing love to some friends, he said, "I said I was going to tell a joke. Death has set me free. That's the biggest joke. I deserve this."
"And the other joke is that I am not Patrick Bryan Knight and y'all can't stop this execution now. Go ahead, I'm finished."
No comments:
Post a Comment