Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Tuesday Taste of the "Town"


After a slight respite, possibly followed by another, here's my latest review.

PAPI’S “TEXICAN” GRILL
LITTLE RIVER, SC


FIRST IMPRESSIONS:
This has to be the twentieth iteration of this particular location. It’s been everything from an Australian themed pub (The Down Under) to a fish place (Duffy’s Seafood Shack – previously reviewed at another locale.)

SERVICE:
Very attentive, nice (and she was cute, except for the 20 tattoos). We sat at the bar. No weird music or anything crazy.

CHEESEBURGER & FRIES:
EK claimed that it was quite good – it looked a bit dry to me, but I’m a medium-rare kind of guy. Large applications of ketchup – as usual – probably helped. The size of the burger was good, I thought.

OTHER FOOD:
I had “the” Carnitas tacos – 3 soft tacos filled with pork, served with pico de gallo, guac, cheese, and onions. Yum. The best part was the sauce I got with them – a sort of creamy/jalapeno/cilantro mixture that was incredible. We actually ordered some to go, and I believe Mrs. EK was going to try to replicate the recipe.

OVERALL EXPERIENCE:
It’s an odd place – squeaky floors, squeaky doors, and a very disparate customer group. All in all, I liked it, but I won’t be a regular.

WTF? EVENT:
First time I’ve seen Sharon (Zip it, Wombat) in months. She is still a hottie!

5 comments:

Evil_Klown said...

I'll give that burger an "average." Their nachos, on the other hand, are the best I've ever had. I MUST have them once per month.

The creamy jalapeno sauce recipe is proving elusive. I shall call them to see if they will divulge the heavenly secret.

For what it's worth, I really like the place. The owner (Nigel) and staff is friendly and the place has the only male bartender I can stand. His name is Dan. And yeah, Molly -- so cute but all the tattoos and piercings ... wtf? She's nice though so I look right past all that stuff. The music they play is low volume and usually themed along very old country/old timey stuff. The creaky doors and floors match the "vibe."

WOMBAT said...

Okay. First of all, it should be "The owner and staff are friendly..."

Also "Papis Texas Grill"? How about "Papis Smear Texas Grill"? I mean, I know that's sophomoric humor but still. They couldn't do better than that?

@A is A. I haven't thought of or mentioned Sharon in ages. I'm glad she's a hottie though cuz otherwise, she'd be doomed.

Evil_Klown said...

Yes ... "are friendly." I had typed "The owner (Nigel) is friendly" and later decided to go back and insert "and staff" -- then I neglected to update the linking verb. I don't have to worry about that though, the readers here are smart enough to muddle through ... well, most of them.

WOMBAT said...

"You know what I meant". Good one, Lib.

ragweed said...

I love the place and yes, Sharon is still a hottie

Post a Comment