From J-Walk:
Bank Security Questions
At Gripe Line: Insecure Questions:
"My two banks recently instituted the security questions as part of their online security. I don't do a lot of online banking, so I go in with one and was asked the question 'What's your favorite candy?' There are only two candies that I eat, peanut M&M's, and Reese's. But try as I might, I could not get the answer right, and there was no facility to switch questions. I had to go into the bank physically, where they called someone, put me on the phone with them so that they could verify I was who I said I was, and then reset my account.
Another example:
"On one site, they wanted the name of my first pet but their program wouldn't accept my answer because the name of my first pet didn't have seven letters or more," wrote one more reader. "I complained about this nonsense to their rep when I contacted them on the phone -- not being able to log on to their web site -- and she gave me a hint. No matter what the question is -- pet name, color of first car, favorite teachers name, etc. -- you can probably answer them all with the same response. So that's what I did. The pet, car color, and teacher questions all now have the same answer -- an eight-letter word for male cow droppings -- and it seems to work fine. False security, anyone?"
Yes -- this is becoming more and more common -- and it's a huge pain in the ass. Up to now I have actually been writing down the answers, just in case -- and I have actually had to consult them. From now on, I shall be using the method above.
Friday, July 27, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment