Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Tuesday "Taste?"

Anyone who knows me knows that I'm not afraid to try new foods. I am no Andrew Zimmern - I am not going to eat a bug or a guinea pig, no matter how expertly prepared. But I am not afraid of offal, or some other odd part of an animal that usually gets tossed.
About six months ago I decided I wanted to taste Haggis, a Scottish delicacy. Being of Scotch descent, and loving Scotch whisky, it seemed like a perfect fit.
So after some research, I found a company that makes (almost) traditional Haggis in the US. It is made with the same spices and recipe as used in Scotland but the meat mixture is a bit different. It turns out that our government forbids the importation or use of animal lungs for human consumption. Thanks, food police. Lungs might taste good - it's not like the sheep are chain-smoking.
It's quite expensive, and the size upon delivery is disappointing, but so goes the pursuit of odd foods.
January 25th is "Robbie Burns Day", the traditional day to prepare Haggis, so that was my plan.
I prepared the appropriate accompaniments, tatties and bashed neeps, which I cooked at home. The Beaner did not want the Haggis cooked at home due to some irrational smell fears (actually it was forbidden). So, the Haggis was cooked at work. The only things I changed - I didn't put nutmeg in the tatties, and I used Yukon gold potatoes instead of regular Russets.
The Haggis was boiled as per directions, and was hot much quicker than the hour proscribed.
The Klown was invited but had prior commitments. So it was up to me, my boss "K", and our boss "BJ" to savor the meal.
Consensus - it was delicious. No overt smell, very mild almost nutty flavor, and not reeking of anything livery or organ meat type odors. It's an odd texture, not as solid as a sausage, but holds together - maybe like scrapple or liver mush. Combined with mashed potatoes and buttery turnips - what's not to like?
I shall have it again, and I am no longer afraid of another "weird" food. Neither should you be.

In all honesty, there was one contrarian. "K"'s dog Gracie wanted no part of the Haggis, and she will eat absolutely ANYTHING.

4 comments:

WOMBAT said...

I tried haggis once... Also on Robert Burns day...the last time I was visiting friends in London and thought it was very delicious and have longed for it since. It's one of those foods that sounds much worse than it tastes.

Anonymous said...

Wombat, keep pretending anoyone gives a rat's ass what you think.

WOMBAT said...

You'd be a lot more credible if you acted like you didnt give a rat's ass. See you next Tuesday.

Evil_Klown said...

Somehow, I don't feel like I'm missing anything but you go right ahead. Eat all that weird stuff.

Post a Comment