Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Tuesday Taste of the "Town"


GRAVY “A SOUTHERN EATERY”
NEAR CALABASH, NC

FIRST IMPRESSIONS:
It’s basically a big barn-looking building. Very quiet when we were there, decorated oddly (if it were nicer I'd say eclectic). It was very clean. Tall people abounded, for some reason.

SERVICE:
Excellent. She answered all questions and was helpful when we needed her.

CHEESEBURGER & FRIES:
EK had heard stories of a burger “as big as a hubcap”, so this was the place for him. Apparently this item is not on their "new" menu, but if you ask for “the Beach burger” they will make it. We were informed that all burgers would be cooked well-done, but EK said “if it’s undercooked, it won't hurt my feelings.” That request fell on deaf ears (thank you government nannies!). The burger arrived, and it was quite large – it required two slices of cheese to cover it. A bit dry looking, but EK called it a big winner, nice flavor, and lots of good-looking fries. I’d say B+



OTHER FOOD:
I had “the” liver and onions. Yeah – I know – who eats that stuff? I do – and it was outstanding – tender and not overcooked, and a great pile of sautéed onions, with a side of corn and potato salad (both not homemade, and mediocre). Iron is good for you, you know.

OVERALL EXPERIENCE:
It’s an odd place – but I liked it. Cash only - no credit cards. Given the right circumstances I’d go back – not fine dining by any stretch, but good food at a very fair price.

WTF? EVENT:
This place has been a fixture for years – and it was always called “The Beach Diner”. Now the same owners decided it would be a smart idea to change the name to “Gravy – A Southern Eatery”. It’s Calabash you geniuses – that sort of rubric will scare away even your regular customers!

1 comment:

WOMBAT said...

There is no evidence that soft tissues (organs) are any better for you than the tasty cuts of beef. Any iron in the liver quickly dissipates after death and is all but eradicated by cooking.

That said, I'm a big fan of properly cooked liver and onions but it's been years since I've had it. The last time I ordered it, the delivery guy was mugged and they stole my liver an onions. I thought this was just exactly what they deserved. I equated it to robbing an armored car and finding out it's actually a diaper cleaning service.

Either way, liver and onions is delicious but its health benefits are vastly overrated.

Post a Comment