Thursday, April 15, 2010

Uh... "we"???

A visibly perturbed Jay Barbree, during MSNBC live coverage on Thursday, called out Barack Obama for making cuts in NASA that could result, as he claimed, in 9,000 employees losing their jobs even though during the campaign, as the long time NBC correspondent reported, the President "told 15,000 workers here at the Space Center that if they would vote for him, that he would protect their jobs." This sent MSNBC live anchor Alex Witt immediately into administration defense mode as she asserted: "I will say on behalf of the Obama administration, they contend that 2500 new jobs will be created."

The following exchange was aired during MSNBC's live April 15 coverage at around 12pm Eastern:

ALEX WITT: Right now on MSNBC, President Obama gets ready to head to NASA to try to build support for his efforts to revamp the nation's space program. Although the international space station will remain active, plans to send astronauts back to the moon are being scrubbed for now and that is dividing, not only Congress, but also some of the few people who have actually stepped foot on the lunar surface. Let's bring in NBC's Jay Barbree who's live for us at the Kennedy Space Center in Cape Canaveral, Florida. Jay, good day to you.

JAY BARBREE: Good day to you Alex.

WITT: Okay so this is really, there's a dividing line here between these very few elite men.

BARBREE: It sure is. Well I'll tell you it's really not. You have, you have Buzz Aldrin, who is - has his oldest son Andrew Aldrin is a, is the chief planner of the Launch Alliance Group, the Delta 4 rocket and the Atlas 5 rocket and they are the people who are trying to get the job of hauling the Orion spacecraft into space and they're going to downsize it so they can put them on these rockets. So what - they're trying to do that. Neil Armstrong and all the rest of the guys, they see what's happening here. We do not have a conceivable...I can't get the word out. They do not have continuation of the space program.

WITT: Okay.

BARBREE: But I'm a little disturbed right now, Alex. I just found out some very disturbing news. The President came down here in his campaign and told these 15,000 workers here at the Space Center that if they would vote for him, that he would protect their jobs. 9,000 of them are about to lose their job. He is speaking before 200, extra hundred people here today only. It's invitation only. He has not invited a single space worker from this space port to attend. It's only academics and other high officials from outside of the country. Not one of them is invited to hear the President of the United States, on their own space port, speak today. Back to you Alex.

WITT: Alright Jay I can understand why that would certainly get you a bit upset. I will say, on behalf of the Obama administration, they contend that 2500 new jobs will be created, even more, they say, than the 2012 Constellation would have created, that program. So I know all this remains to be seen, but understandably we get why you're upset, right now. Along with many others down there. Let's see if the President clears that up later today. Jay thanks so much.

I know this goes without saying, but I'm going to say it anyway. How on earth does a newscaster- an actor who gets paid not to smile- dare to speak for the Obama administration? That makes about as much sense as a Jets fan proclaiming, "we kicked their ass last night" after the Jets win a game. There is no "we". You didn't have any impact on the outcome of the game at all except that you bought a ticket (theoretically) and made some noise along with 50,000 other people in the stands. Sure, you could argue that without fans, there would be no team in the first place but that doesn't mean you can personally take any credit for the performance of the team. Well, not without being made of rubber and the ability to stretch pretty far for a nugget of truth.

Furthermore, I'm sick and tired of these idiots asserting that we really don't know what is going to happen but they're sure it'll all be fine if we just wait patiently. That's a painful reminder of the passengers on the planes that crashed on 9/11. They all sat there patiently because at the time, everyone "knew" that if you obeyed the terrorists, they'd let you go peacefully. Of course, that wasn't exactly the case and the passengers on the plane that crashed in PA knew better and did something to prevent further carnage.

I feel like conservatives are the passengers on the plane in PA and liberals are the passengers on the planes in NY and DC. I'd even bet that if someone stood up to do something to stop the terrorists on one of those three planes, the liberals would have done everything in their power to stop him or her. Furthermore, those who didn't physically intervene would probably be calling them a racist and a danger to us all. I hate to break the news here but when a certain group of people repeatedly behave in a certain way, it's not racism to expect them to continue to behave in that way- it's common sense.
It's not okay to demean, ridicule, insult, or abuse people based on these behaviors, but it is okay to modify your behavior- and theirs, if necessary- to protect yourself and those around you.

To stay on point here, the President is NOT going to be clearing anything up later today or later this week or ever. I certainly don't advocate any kind of action which would bring harm to the President mostly because I think we need to suffer through 4 years of this shit just to remind all the slow learners out there that what he's doing is not good for us, it's not good for the country, and it's not good for the world. I just hope he gets voted out before anything really bad happens. I know things suck pretty badly now but there's an old Jewish proverb I keep close to my heart, "Things can always get worse".

No comments:

Post a Comment