Monday, June 8, 2009

Abraham Lincoln - Property & Freedom


Here are some more quotes from Abraham Lincoln:

"Those who deny freedom to others, deserve it not for themselves; and, under a just God, can not long retain it."

"A house divided against itself cannot stand. I believe this government cannot endure permanently half-slave and half-free. I do not expect the Union to be dissolved - I do not expect the house to fall - but I do expect it will cease to be divided. It will become all one thing or all the other."

"Whenever I hear any one arguing for slavery I feel a strong impulse to see it tried on him personally."

"Property is the fruit of labor ... property is desirable ... is a positive good in the world. That some should be rich shows that others may become rich, and hence is just encouragement to industry and enterprise. Let not him who is houseless pull down the house of another; but let him labor diligently and build one for himself, thus by example assuring that his own shall be safe from violence when built." More quotes here:

No comments:

Post a Comment