Wednesday, April 30, 2008

P.J. O'Rourke

UPDATED:
One of the Klown's favorite authors gave a talk on his new book. You can download the audio and/or video ... or stream it if you want. I listened to it on my mp3 player at work today and here's the call -- the speech was 30 minutes. He's got a slight speech impediment (stutters a bit.) Then there were 3-4 questions at the end. During the questions, you find out he REALLY knows this material. One guy tried to stump him up but -- well -- it didna work.

If you don't know who P.J. O'Rourke is, I encourage you to find out. I've read 5 or 6 of his books and they are very informative and entertaining -- although, he has a tendency to send you to the dictionary more often than I think is necessary.

Also, like Newt Gingrich, P.J. has said some dumb things lately. Here's a blurb.

P.J. O'Rourke - With more than 1 MILLION words of trenchant journalism under his byline and more citations in the "Penguin Dictionary of Humorous Quotations" than any other living writer, P.J. O'Rourke has established himself as America's premier political satirist. He is the best-selling author or 12 books, including "Parliament of Whores", "Give War a Chance", "Eat the Rich", "The CEO of the Sofa", "On Wealth of Nations" and "Peace Kills". Both Time Magazine and The Wall Street Journal have labeled O'Rourke as "the funniest writer in America". He is also the H.L. Mencken Research Fellow at the Cato Institute.

I posted the blurb after I posted the "send you to the dictionary" part. I had to look up "trenchant."

searching: having keenness and forcefulness and penetration in thought, expression, or intellect; "searching insights"; "trenchant criticism"

hard-hitting: characterized by or full of force and vigor; "a hard-hitting expose"; "a trenchant argument"

No comments:

Post a Comment