Sunday, July 29, 2007

The Klown's pea brain was amazed

So -- I was driving to work this morning -- about 6:30AM. The sun was a HUGE red ball ... just over the horizon -- just beautiful. As I contemplated how perfectly everything works, I started to wonder about the different sizes of stars ... So I googled 'er this afternoon.

Turns out, the diameter of the Earth is about 8,000 miles. The Sun's is a little bigger than 800,000 miles ... but it's 93 million miles way.

What if Rigel was our sun instead. Its diameter is about 53,000,000 miles. NEE (as in the knights who say "nee". )

So if it were centered at the same place as the sun, its surface would reach about 1/4th of the distance to the earth. needless to say, we'd be toast. And Rigel isn't even CLOSE to being the biggest star.

Here are some pics to help you capisky.




Here are the diameters:
Got the pics from here:

FYI -- the star named "Betelgeuse" -- is pronounced "Beetle-juice".

No comments:

Post a Comment