It all starts with one simple sentence, spoken almost in a whisper, but which has a thunderous effect.A female police officer deployed in Tehran's latest moral crackdown tells a woman that her manto (overcoat) is too short and infringes Iranian Islamic dress rules.
"Azizam (my dear), good afternoon, if possible could we have a friendly chat, please allow us to have a small chat," the officer, a graduate of Tehran's police academy, tells the young woman.
Yes -- a friendly chat -- in the way that your friends threaten to jail you -- all in fun of course -- all in good fun - SLAM.
"My dear there is a problem with your manto. Please do not wear this kind of manto. Please wear a longer manto from now on."
Some are just let go there, but others are escorted to waiting minibuses with dark black tinted window panes and labelled "Guidance Patrol."
A girl in a short white manto whose long hair was tumbling out the front of her headscarf is taken by the police to one of the minibuses on Vanak Square in central Tehran -- an unexpected and unhappy end to her shopping trip.
Another arrested woman is already inside the bus. She begins to cry. "I promise, I promise!"
And the minibus doors slam shut.
Wow -- sounds great.
1 comment:
I can remember the days that mini-skirts were all over Tehran as well as chidors. I happen to be a Peace Corps Volunteer(1967-68). Certainly life has gone backwards since then.
Post a Comment