Friday, December 16, 2011

Libs have trouble getting anything right.

This is the first paragraph in an article about Christopher Hitchens' recent demise. I don't agree with what Christopher Hitchens believes but I've read his book God is not Great. I found his assertions to be fraught with the angst of a young teenager just aching for some guidance from anybody. Somehow though, his disdain and anger have done as much to reinforce my faith in God than any other publication I've recently read.

What I find most disturbing about this first paragraph though is the first sentence wherein the author falls into the classic trap of telephone where if you hear something misquoted enough times, you feel convinced that it's the actual and original quotation.

For those who (somehow) don't know, the correct quotation is "Whatever hurts you but doesn't kill you makes you stronger." That's a big difference if you ask me.
Reviewing familiar principles and maxims in the face of mortal illness, Christopher Hitchens has found one of them increasingly ridiculous: “Whatever doesn’t kill me makes me stronger.” Oh, really? Take the case of the philosopher to whom that line is usually attributed, Friedrich Nietzsche, who lost his mind to what was probably syphilis. Or America’s homegrown philosopher Sidney Hook, who survived a stroke and wished he hadn’t. Or, indeed, the author, viciously weakened by the very medicine that is keeping him alive.
Full article HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment