Friday, December 23, 2011

I like the whole idea -- almost


ACKWORTH, Ga. - Some Georgia parents who have been struggling to buy gifts for their kids this Christmas got some last-minute help from Secret Santas. Dozens of families whose layaway accounts have been in jeopardy have been told that anonymous donors gave them quite a gift.

It’s a Secret Santa trend taking hold across the country, including here in metro Atlanta. Anonymous donors have been paying off customers’ layaway accounts, and now it’s happened at a Walmart store in Cherokee County.

“A week and a half ago, our first person came in and wanted to be a Secret Santa and pay off someone's layaway,” said store manager Robert Finch.

Finch says more than $3,000 has been paid off on layaway accounts in the last 10 days alone. Typically, Finch says donors come into the store and request to pay on an account that has toys and may be delinquent. They notify the customers, most times immediately, and they say the news is often shocking to the lucky recipients. From here:

Mmmm, hmmm.  Something tells me this particular instance of the secret Santa is the work of well intentioned but naive peeps libs.  Listen, I love the whole idea of this ... especially the anonymous part; however, why does it have to be "delinquent accounts?"

And, what do you mean "may be delinquent?"  How did that "qualifier" get in there?  See, when I hear stuff like this, my Klowny senses start tingling ... because HUH?  

"Yes sir, I'd like to anonymously pay off a layaway account ... I request my payment go to an account which has toys on it and may be delinquent." I mean, is it just me or does this need further clarification?

Whenever I run across something like this in the media ... where I feel like I'm not getting the truth all the information, I know dedicated libs are at work ... helping me to know what I should be thinking.

Assuming that this is "the whole truth," (and I doubt very seriously that it is) why payoff delinquent accounts and disregard the people who have paid on time?  I mean, I see the sentiment behind it but I think it is misplaced.  It also may be sending the wrong message for future years ... i.e. if you want a chance to get free stuff, just put it on layaway and don't make the payments ... you know .. like a lottery ... a lottery where the store has to pay the storage costs and manage the inventory for a couple of months ... cuz that's free, right?

It actually occurred to me that the store may be making a minimum payment on delinquent accounts (and alerting the media) in order to guilt the "recipients" into picking the payments back up and making them feel they have more to lose now that they are further invested in this thing.  Probably not true of course but that's just the cynic in the back of my mind ... you know ... the thing that distinguishes me from idiot-libs total dupe-niks.

I suggest ignoring whether or not the account is late ... just pick a random account (with toys, if you insist) that has a balance you can afford and pay it off ... or some of it ... or whatever.  

And another thing ... I'm just a regular moron off the street and yet I know this almost instinctively ... without having to give it much thought at all ... just the basic "don't reward bad behavior or you'll get more of it."   How does this always escape the average genius lib.  Quite a mystery I tell ya.

1 comment:

WOMBAT said...

I noticed this story too. I considered using layaway one time... I think I was in college or something. I pretty quickly realized that the only reason I was using layaway was because the thing I wanted was something I couldn't pay for so I decided against it and put it back.

I'm not sure what the modern-day thought process is for layaway though. It seems to me that if you're broke enough to use layaway, the stuff you're going to be buying isn't going anywhere anytime soon. It's not like you're putting a Calder mobile on layway to prevent someone else from snatching it from your mitts before you scratch the curp together. You're socking away stuff you'd like to have but really can't afford while making the promise to pay for it later.

Having some "angel" pay for it is nothing more than encouraging people to buy stuff they can't afford because maybe somebody will come buy and pay it off for you. You know- erase and eradicate any personal responsibility for anything you do... ever.

Post a Comment