Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Tuesday Taste of the "Town"


DUFFER'S BAR & GRILL
SHALLOTTE, NC


FIRST IMPRESSIONS:
It’s in a strip mall in Shallotte – curb appeal kind of low. But when I got out of my car I could smell the grilling – it made me even hungrier. Inside it’s open, clean, and decorated in a golfing theme.

SERVICE:
It started off pretty weak, any request required a 5 minute wait. She got much better, and ended up being about average.


CHEESEBURGER & FRIES:
The cheeseburger looked pretty good, not overcooked and semi-juicy. After the mandatory applications of ketchup, I believed the Klown mostly enjoyed it (see WTF? below). The fries were the large “steak fry” variety – not my favorite, but above average. I'll say B-





OTHER FOOD:
Our dining companion had the crab bites, small balls of crabmeat breaded and deep fried, served with a light dipping sauce. She was impressed – and so was I. There might have been more crabmeat in one crab “bite” than was in a whole crab cake from Duffy’s the week before. But I digress. I had “the” patty melt, which was OK, at best. It was served on a grilled rye that was twice the size of the patty, so I ended up with leftover bread. The homemade potato salad was excellent. The onions? – see WTF? below.

OVERALL EXPERIENCE:
Not a terrible meal. It’s definitely a diverse crowd, but one expects that in Shallotte. Our meal for three of us was less expensive than two of us paid at Duffy’s, and it was much better. I’d consider going again, but I wouldn’t go far out of my way (and it’s far out of my way normally).

WTF? EVENT:
EK commented shortly after we left about the strange “consistency” of the onions. I had the same experience – although mine were sautéed and his were raw. It was like they were mixed with dental floss or something – after a bite you could feel some sort of strange stringy thing in your mouth. After some research I learned that if you slice onions in advance and keep them in water for too long, the individual layers will separate and the membrane between comes loose. And the membrane alone is not good eating. So – stop doing that Duffer’s!

1 comment:

Evil_Klown said...

I liked this spot ... but I wouldn't get onions again.

Post a Comment