Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Tuesday Taste of the "Town"


PIZZELLI’S ITALIAN OVEN
LITTLE RIVER, SC


FIRST IMPRESSIONS
Nice and clean, smells like good Italian food, a medium sized dining area, and a spacious bar. We chose to dine in the bar. There were 4 or 5 folks already seated, and they turned out to be a very interesting group.

SERVICE
Very attentive bartender, friendly, and fun. No complaints whatsoever.

PIZZA
We ordered two large pies, (there were three of us today) a supreme with several toppings, and our “control pizza” – pepperoni and mushrooms. Both arrived pretty quickly, hot and looking good. The crust was thin and crispy – very tasty. Toppings were fresh and delicious (except for my pet peeve – refer to my rant in WTF? below), cheese was stringy and abundant, and tomato sauce tasty and not overly spiced. I really liked this pizza. A-

OVERALL EXPERIENCE
Very enjoyable lunch – I will definitely go back. From the staff to the atmosphere it was the best yet. Of course this is only our second foray into pizza.

WTF? EVENT
Mushrooms. Yes – mushrooms. Specifically – canned mushrooms. You are running a pizzeria for Christ’s sake – it’s not a Domino’s or some crappy slice joint in Asbury Park. USE FRESH MUSHROOMS, DAMMIT. At the very least, if you (for some unknown reason) feel compelled to use canned, at least sauté them before you throw them on the pie. You don’t use canned onions or canned peppers or canned tomato sauce or… well, you get my point. BUY FRESH MUSHROOMS.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

FYI. Domino's (and Pizza Hut, Papa John's for that matter) use fresh mushrooms. The preserved (canned) mushrooms last longer and are less work. Smaller places can be lazy when it comes to this. Bottom line: Ask before you order.

Anonymous said...

Side note: I had the best pizza of my life a couple of weeks back (and we know I've had some pizza.) If you're dedicated you'll add it to your menu. It was from the Italian Bistro at the Venetian. Everything about it was great but the real standout was the crust. How do you get crunchy, flaky and chewy at the same time? I don't know but I like it!

Evil_Klown said...

I'll give them a "one notch above average" but that's about it. I won't go out of my way to go back here.

ragweed said...

I also like Pizzelli's

Post a Comment