Thursday, September 2, 2010

Stephen Hawking is smarter than I previously thought.

In his new book, he concludes that, "The Big Bang was the result of inevitable laws of physics and did not need God to spark the creation of the universe". Your first question should then be, "Okay, but just who do you think created the inevitable laws of physics" and you'd be astute for asking.

However, while the MSM tends to trail off after reporting this tidbit, Mr. Hawking elaborates.
In June this year Prof Hawking told a Channel 4 series that he didn't believe that a "personal" God existed. He told Genius of Britain: "The question is: is the way the universe began chosen by God for reasons we can't understand, or was it determined by a law of science? I believe the second. If you like, you can call the laws of science 'God', but it wouldn't be a personal God that you could meet, and ask questions."
Aha! A man of science begins to understand God.

At the risk of condescending*, I'll elaborate. I have been aware for decades that God is not a white bearded old man in the sky. Unfortunately for me but by design, my human pea brain is not capable of fully understanding just exactly who or what God is.

I realize that some people of some religions insist that there was a time when God spoke to people directly and definitively but those days are long gone. I suspect it's because God got tired of wasting his breath. That said, I still believe that God still speaks to all of us but we're just not very good listeners. I see God's messages in sunsets and thunderstorms and in myriad other venues. You can argue that I see what I seek and I won't argue. Stephen Hawking sees God's messages in physics. The more I understand God, the more complicated God seems to be.

This paraphrase from the Gospel of St. Thomas sums it up for me: "His kingdom is in you and all around you. Lift a stone and you will find me. Split a piece of wood and there I am."

Nevertheless, leave it to the idiotic Lefty media to use this as an opportunity to poke a stick in the eyes of the religious out there with headlines like these:

"Bad News, Religious People: Stephen Hawking Says God Didn’t Create the Universe" 

 -New York Magazine.



Or

"Somebody's Going To Hell! Stephen Hawking: 'God Not Necessary For Universe To Exist'

- Geekologie

The good news is that there are people out there with skills of comprehension so poor that they make me feel like a genius by comparison. The bad news is that they have no idea that they're wrong, nobody bothers to tell them they're wrong, and there are people who read only the headlines and then "share" their knowledge with friends at cocktail parties and then are mystified why things seem to suck so badly.



More of the article here.

*"condescending" means talking down to people.

1 comment:

A is A said...

Quite probably the first footnoted post on this blog.

Post a Comment