Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Letter from my congressman ... telling me how he's helping


So I just got an email from my federal congressional representative. Usually this guy votes the way I would like on major issues. However, I read his email (which I excerpted below) and I just shook my head.

The “Make it in America” initiative has included: creating good American jobs, providing the lowest taxes in 60 years for the middle class and small businesses, and closing tax loopholes that send jobs overseas. We must make certain that we are doing all we can to ensure that we can re-ignite our manufacturing base and “Make It in America.”

Hey, I have an idea -- how about you keep government's nose out of business. Stop "helping." I know you THINK you're a big help -- but you're not -- you're a noose. Competitive businesses don't need the help of government. Stop taxing everything that moves and you won't have to worry about "leveling the playing field."

The only thing government should do is match other countries tariff wise. In other words, if country X taxes/regulates our goods then we tax/regulate theirs at the same rate - that's all.

As a part of the “Make it in America” initiative, I have supported a number of pieces of legislation:

* The U.S. Manufacturing Enhancement Act of 2010 contains hundreds of tariff suspensions and reductions which would help American companies grow and support further job creation. OK, this sounds good ... but something tells me there's more to it.  Think about it ... when have you EVER known congressmen to lower taxes without a HUGE fight ... and telling us how we'll be sorry etc etc etc.  Something tells me they're giving my money to their friends.

* The National Manufacturing Strategy Act creates a Manufacturing Strategy Board that will develop short- and long-term goals for America’s manufacturing industry. Huh?  Why does government have to be involved in this?  Why can't private companies get together and do it themselves?  Who are the "geniuses and masterminds that are going to come up with the "goals."  Why is this reeking of costing me money?  What tells me some "friends of the congressman" are going to be getting paid my tax money for this whole "project?"

* The Clean Energy Technology Manufacturing and Export Assistance Act supports our clean American energy economy by making it easier for companies to navigate foreign markets and promoting investments and reducing production costs for these companies.  Again ... huh?  If our companies have a competitive product then why do they need the help of the government (read - "my tax money") to sell their product?  Something tells me they won't be selling their "product."  Something tells me they'll pretend to "do business" but they'll really just be getting my money through the backdoor of the government "helping."

* The Emergency Trade Deficit Commission will develop trade policies so that we no longer import more than we export.  Wow -- the "Emergency Trade Deficit Commission."  Sounds great.  And who will be on this "commission?"  And why do we import more than we export?  Surely you've given it some thought.  If the answer isn't "other governments tax our goods more than we tax theirs" (or something similar) then I don't want to hear it. 

My theory?  Our government is so intrusive and demanding and regulatory and taxing on our own businesses that we aren't competitive with overseas business anymore -- it's over -- its history -- it's finished -- it's through -- they've killed it and it's almost permanent.  We have GOT to vote these people out.

* The Strengthening Employment Clusters to Organize Regional Success Act (SECTORS) will help address local skills shortages by bringing employers in key industries together with education, labor, workforce, and other groups to identify and provide training tailored to meet the sector needs of that region’s economy.  Oh, spare me.  And who is going to be in charge of this?  And will you ever see them meet?  And will you (we) have any input whatsoever in this deal?  And isn't it the commies who refer to "sectors" as it relates to the economy?

Seriously, is this the hokiest crap you've ever heard?  All this is is more of my money going straight down the toilet to some friends of the congressman (or his buddies etc.)  "Provide training tailored to meet the needs of that region's economy" -- what a pant load.

These damn people have got to go.  They're squandering my money and my kids' money and my grandkids' money with reckless abandon.  They cannot be stopped.  Nothing ... NOTHING can stop them.  Too bad there isn't a way to start jailing some of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment